Thursday 24 January 2013

How to stay creative: Part I



I found these notes on the internet a few years ago; as I was going through my files I came across them again and thought they would be good to share. They have certainly kept me motivated & encouraged.

Make lists . I love making lists anyway but I find this particularly helpful when it comes to being creative and sticking to plans. I have lists of the projects I want to get done in the next few months and equally it's good to make a list of materials you may need to buy for each project then you aren't spending money on materials you don't need or forgetting to buy things.

Carry a notebook everywhere. I've started to do this a lot more this year already. I sometimes get ideas for DIYs I'd like to try, recipes, blog post ideas, etc. It's always handy to have pen & paper at hand to jot them down. There's nothing worse than having a great idea & forgetting it! Obviously the note app on your iPhone's too is great for when you forget your book!

Get away from the computer! Much of my creative inspiration comes from the internet, particularly pinterest, etsy & other creative blogs BUT sometimes it's good to just get away from all that and find inspiration out & about! Maybe find somewhere new to go. Try it, you might be surprised! It feels good!

Quit beating yourself up! Allow yourself to make mistakes. Sometimes I still have to remember that! Have confidence in what you're creating and remember a mistake can be beautiful or at least can be changed! Tell yourself you're good and accept compliments & praise from others. More importantly stop trying to be someone else's perfect.

Take breaks. It's very easy to want to keep going until you've finished something or until you've found all your ideas but taking a break, going for a walk, having a cup of tea can be really good to clear your mind, unblock your brain and create fresh ideas. Most of my ideas comes straight after having a break, or at least during it! Trying to force creativeness never works.

Surround yourself with creative people. It's always good to be around others that have similar talents, great ideas & share your passion. Get feedback from people too, let them give you a different perspective. Talk to each other about what works, what doesn't and feel refreshed!
 

...to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment